After a night spent dancing at our favourite bar, we are the first customers waiting at our local bakery. The lady already knows what we are after: she has a hot tray of bougatsa ready, straight out of the oven. She sprinkles the dish with cinnamon and icing sugar before cutting it into slices. What better way to finish the night . . . or should we say, start the day? This is our version of the delicious classic.
125 g caster sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon finely grated
125 g semolina
2 cups milk
100 g melted butter, plus
extra, for brushing
5 sheets filo pastry
ground cinnamon, for sprinkling
icing sugar, for sprinkling
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease two baking trays and line with baking paper.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs and caster sugar for a few minutes using an electric mixer. Add the lemon juice, orange zest, semolina and milk, and stir to combine.
3. Pour the mixture into a deep saucepan and place over low heat. Stir constantly until the mixture is thick (about 15 minutes), then add the melted butter and mix to combine.
4. Cut the filo pastry sheets in half and brush with butter. Place 4 tablespoons of the custard mixture in the centre
of the pastry. Fold the top down and roll up, folding in the edges to form a log. Continue making parcels until all the custard filling has been used up.
5. Place the parcels, seam side down, on the trays and brush the tops with butter. Bake in the oven for 20–25 minutes. Allow the parcels to cool down, then sprinkle with cinnamon and icing sugar.
Recipes and images from Taking You Home: Simple Greek Food by Helena Moursellas and Vikki Moursellas published by Hachette Australia ($39.99)
Here’s a superfood spin on this popular salad of days gone by. The hemp- and nut- based dressing is every bit as yummy, and full of protein and fibre.On January 29, 2016
SERVES 2 (MAKES 4 LARGE FRITTERS)On March 14, 2014
These Southeast Asian-inspired crab cakes make such a good impression, and I love that I can make them ahead with just a little last-minute cooking. I like to serve them with...On June 6, 2013
SERVES 4On February 17, 2017
This is everything you want in a chocolate cake. Rich, bouncy and well rounded, with a chewy brownie outside, cloud-light chocolate icing and a dreamy chocolate glaze to top everything...On September 26, 2014
Makes: 12On July 1, 2016