These biscuits are reminiscent of the ANZAC biscuits that were sent in food parcels to Australian and New Zealand troops stationed in Europe during World War I. Using basic ingredients and basic equipment, they are quick to make, long lasting and totally moreish, and are loved as much now as they were back then.
MAKES: ABOUT 28
PREPARATION TIME: 20 MINUTES BAKING TIME: 12–15 MINUTES
150 g (51/2 oz/1 cup) plain (all-purpose) flour
150 g (51/2 oz/11/2 cups) rolled (porridge) oats
90 g (31/4 oz/1 cup) desiccated coconut
165 g (53/4 oz/3/4 cup) caster (superfine) sugar
100 g (31/2 oz/1 cup) pecans, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
150 g (51/2 oz) butter, cubed
115 g (4 oz/1/3 cup) honey (See Baker’s Tips)
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) or 160°C (315°F) fan-forced. Line two large baking trays with baking paper.
2. Put the flour, rolled oats, coconut, sugar, pecans and cinnamon in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
3. Put the butter, honey and water in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until the butter melts. Remove from the heat, add the bicarbonate of soda and stir to combine; the mixture will foam up. Add to the dry ingredients and stir with the wooden spoon until well combined.
4. Roll tablespoonfuls of the mixture into balls and place about 7 cm (23/4 in) apart on the lined trays. Use your fingers to flatten the balls until they are about 1 cm (1/2 in) thick and about 5 cm (2 in) in diameter.
5. Bake for 12–15 minutes, swapping the trays after 6 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Remove the biscuits from the oven and cool on the trays.
The honey can be replaced with 115 g (4 oz/1/3 cup) golden syrup (light treacle) for a delicious caramel flavour.
These biscuits will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks (though mine are usually gobbled up in just a few days).
Recipes and images from BakeClass by Anneka Manning (Murdoch Books) $45 available now in all good bookstores and online. Buy the book here.
This time of year the Christmas commercials begin appearing on our TV screens. One of the main focuses of the festive season is food. Woolworths has partnered with chef Jamie...On November 17, 2013
Strawberry GranitaOn January 9, 2015
These little gems are a trip down memory lane for me. I have a vivid memory from when I was a child of Mum and Dad taking me on a...On March 27, 2015
SERVES 4On February 17, 2017
Serves 2On September 9, 2016
IngredientsOn September 26, 2013