If you haven’t put these winter fruits together before, you’re in for a treat. They match up beautifully in this warming crumble, with the slightly tart flavour offset perfectly by the sweet, cinnamon-infused topping.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 30–35 minutes
600 g (1 lb 5 oz) granny smith apples
2 teaspoons lemon juice
350 g (12 oz) trimmed rhubarb
250 g (9 oz) strawberries, hulled, large berries halved
1 vanilla bean, split lengthways and seeds scraped
140 g (5 oz / 2/3 cup) sugar
Vanilla ice cream, to serve
75 g (2 3/4 oz / 3/4 cup) rolled (porridge) oats
75 g (2 3/4 oz / 1/2 cup) plain (all-purpose) flour
110 g (3 3/4 oz / 1/2 cup) sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
90 g (3 1/4 oz) chilled unsalted butter, diced
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6).
2. Peel the apples and cut into 1.5–2 cm (5?8–3?4 inch) pieces. Toss the apples and lemon juice together in a large bowl. Cut the rhubarb into 2.5 cm (1 inch) lengths. Add
to the apple with the strawberries, vanilla seeds and sugar and toss to combine. Transfer to six 250 ml (9 fl oz/1 cup) heatproof ramekins or dishes.
3. To make the crumble topping, put the oats, flour, sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl and mix to combine. Use your fingertips to rub in the butter (pic 3) until well combined. Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the fruit in the ramekins or dishes.
4. Bake for 30–35 minutes, until golden and bubbling. Cover with foil if the topping is browning too quickly. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
TIP You can also cook this crumble in a 1.5 litre (52 fl oz/ 6 cup) ovenproof dish. Cook
at the same temperature for 50-60 minutes.
The trifle is the grand old dame of transportable dessert. It lives in glasses or a bowl, which is obviously a tremendous help. The trifle artform is riven with controversy....On December 23, 2015
• SERVES 4 •On October 14, 2016
In this updated version of the traditional Easter hot cross bun, chunks of dark chocolate and tart dried cherries make these even more irresistible!On March 18, 2016
It is looking like it will be a fabulous final at the tennis this Sunday. Whether you are heading to Melbourne Park or watching from home, make the most of...On January 30, 2015
S E R V E S 4On May 12, 2017
SERVES 4On February 16, 2018