The apples and caramel:
60g of unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
1/2 cup of firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/3 cup of brandy or calvados
3 tablespoons of maple syrup
3 apples (or you can use 3 ripe pears)
85g of unsalted butter, very soft
1 cup of sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 cup of flour
3 tablespoons of polenta
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of milk
1 vanilla pod
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease and line a 22cm springform pan. (It's a good idea to place the springform pan on an oven tray as some of the caramel might leak.)
2. Combine the butter, sugar, cinnamon, brandy and maple syrup in a small saucepan and boil for 60 seconds. Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Arrange the apples and press them down slightly to level them.
3. For the cake, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until very smooth and fluffy.
4. Sprinkle in the flour, polenta, baking powder, and salt, and beat for 10 seconds. Pour in the milk and beat just until mixed. Spoon the batter over the apples and smooth the top.
5. Bake approximately for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and place a plate over the cake, then invert onto the plate. Serve warm with fresh cream or vanilla ice-cream.
Recipe and photography from Celeste Vlok
It is looking like it will be a fabulous final at the tennis this Sunday. Whether you are heading to Melbourne Park or watching from home, make the most of...On January 30, 2015
SERVES 4On October 7, 2016
YOU’VE GOT TO LOVE A ONE-PAN ANYTHING — SO APPEALING AT THE TABLE, SO EASY ON THE WASHER-UP-ERER! THIS SPLENDID BREKKY FEATURES SMALL SAUSAGES (CHIPOLATA), BACON, ONION, MUSHROOMS, TOMATO AND...On October 17, 2014
If you haven’t put these winter fruits together before, you’re in for a treat. They match up beautifully in this warming crumble, with the slightly tart flavour offset perfectly by the...On July 12, 2013
Chocolate and Vanilla Protein BallsOn April 28, 2017
I wanted to do a flour stencil on bread, so I decided to try it on this buttermilk and honey loaf. I sprinkled oats around the edges of the loaf...On August 5, 2016