The apples and caramel:
60g of unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
1/2 cup of firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/3 cup of brandy or calvados
3 tablespoons of maple syrup
3 apples (or you can use 3 ripe pears)
85g of unsalted butter, very soft
1 cup of sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 cup of flour
3 tablespoons of polenta
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of milk
1 vanilla pod
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease and line a 22cm springform pan. (It's a good idea to place the springform pan on an oven tray as some of the caramel might leak.)
2. Combine the butter, sugar, cinnamon, brandy and maple syrup in a small saucepan and boil for 60 seconds. Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Arrange the apples and press them down slightly to level them.
3. For the cake, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until very smooth and fluffy.
4. Sprinkle in the flour, polenta, baking powder, and salt, and beat for 10 seconds. Pour in the milk and beat just until mixed. Spoon the batter over the apples and smooth the top.
5. Bake approximately for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and place a plate over the cake, then invert onto the plate. Serve warm with fresh cream or vanilla ice-cream.
Recipe and photography from†Celeste Vlok
Two little words have given us more pleasure on the set of MasterChef than anyOn November 7, 2013
A passionate home cook, Rebecca Sullivan has worked with some of the most interesting food producers, launching the Real Food Festival in London and the Slow Food Nation in San...On April 4, 2013
Learn to make the pie that Josh Brolin made every day on the set of Labor Day for Kate Winslet and the cast, using author Joyce Maynard's family recipe.On January 29, 2014
Whatís not to like in this crowd-pleasing recipe? Easy to cook and even easier to eat, itís everything you want in a noodle dish. As with all stir-fries, make sure...On December 2, 2016
Makes 25 gluten freeOn January 22, 2016
Serves 2-3On October 30, 2015