If you are interested in writing then you really should follow Joanne Harris (@joannechocolat) on Twitter. She gives lots of helpful tips on writing and her ten tweets that she routinely shares are gems.
Her recent list of tips is all about writing a synopsis. Take a look ...
1.I don't know a single author who actually *enjoys* the process of writing a synopsis. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
2. But, for debut novelists, your first synopsis is probably the single most important thing you'll ever submit. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
3. If your synopsis isn't right, people are less likely to read your manuscript. So, take time to get it right. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
4. Your synopsis should be no longer than a page of A4. 800 words is plenty. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
5. It should give the basics of your story without necessarily including all the details. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
6. It should indicate what audience or age group the book is for without sounding like an advert. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
7. It should say where your main story is set, and indicate clearly who the protagonist is. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
8. What it shouldn't do is speculate about how popular it will be, or how your friends loved it. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
9. In the same way, this isn't the place to explain in detail the circumstances of how you came to write it. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
10. Most of all, what it should do is entice the reader and make them want to try the book... ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
Joanne Harris is the author of Chocolat. You can buy the book here.
Peggy Riley is a writer and playwright. She won a Highly Commended prize in the 2011 Bridport Prize and was published in their latest anthology. Her short fiction has been...On June 6, 2013
Romola Garai (Briony in Atonement) is set to star in the BBC adaptation of Jessie Burtonís debut novel The Miniaturist.On April 11, 2017
P.D. James wrote more than 20 books. Many of her books included detective Adam Dalgliesh. Roy Marsden played the detective in a series of adaptations for ITV before Martin Shaw...On November 28, 2014
The festive season is here and to mark the start of the season we have a special Sunday coming up. This is the first big day prior to opening the...On November 23, 2017
The anticipation of the next Bridget Jones film is almost too much. Now we have been teased with the front cover of Helen Fielding's fourth book which will be released...On August 30, 2016
Nina Jacobson and her production company Color Force has picked up the rights to Donna Tarttís bestselling novel The Goldfinch which was released in 2013. Tarttís previous novel The Little...On March 11, 2014