Do you have a favourite romantic line?
2,000 women polled by British TV channel Drama voted Edward Ferrars line in Emma Thompson’s Oscar-winning Sense and Sensibility screenplay the most romantic in TV, film and literature. Ferrars uttered the line “My heart is, and always will be yours”, to Elinor Dashwood, played by Emma Thompson, in the 1995 adaptation.
Another Jane Austen adaptation rounds off the top ten with Mr Darcy’s declaration of love to Elizabeth Bennet.
“In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.”
Notting Hill and Love Actually, both from romantic comedy writer and director Richard Curtis, make appearances.
Which line would you add to this list?
1. “My heart is, and always will be, yours.”
Sense And Sensibility
2. “I’m scared of what I saw, I’m scared of what I did, of who I am, and most of all I’m scared of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my whole life the way I feel when I’m with you.”
3. “Winning that ticket, Rose, was the best thing that ever happened to me … it brought me to you. And I’m thankful for that, Rose. I’m thankful. You must do me this honour, Rose. Promise me you’ll survive.”
4. “When you realise you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.”
When Harry Met Sally
5. “Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.”
6. “I’m just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.”
7. “I love you. I really love you.” “Ditto.”
8. “And at home by the fire, whenever you look up there I shall be. And whenever I look up, there will be you.”
Far From The Madding Crowd
9. “But for now, let me say without hope or agenda to me, you are perfect, and my wasted heart will love you…”
10. “In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.”
Pride And Prejudice
Sunday: Gangster Squad, 8.30pm, Foxtel MoviesOn December 8, 2013
Take a sneak peek at The Secret River, the landmark two part television mini series adapted from Kate Grenville’s award winning novel. The highly anticipated series airs on ABC on...On May 28, 2015
Sunday: Charlie Hebdo: 3 Days That Shook Paris, 9.40pm, SBSOn January 10, 2016
There have been rumours that Daniel Craig’s Bond days are behind him. His friend Mark Strong, currently promoting Grimsby, appears to have confirmed that Craig has finished with 007. We...On February 24, 2016
To celebrate the 80th birthday of Penguin Books, Penguin have published 80 Little Black Classics, putting the spotlight on publishing’s most famous series, Penguin Classics.On April 22, 2015
By Sophia WhitfieldOn September 26, 2016