Do you have a favourite romantic line?
2,000 women polled by British TV channel Drama voted Edward Ferrars line in Emma Thompson’s Oscar-winning Sense and Sensibility screenplay the most romantic in TV, film and literature. Ferrars uttered the line “My heart is, and always will be yours”, to Elinor Dashwood, played by Emma Thompson, in the 1995 adaptation.
Another Jane Austen adaptation rounds off the top ten with Mr Darcy’s declaration of love to Elizabeth Bennet.
“In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.”
Notting Hill and Love Actually, both from romantic comedy writer and director Richard Curtis, make appearances.
Which line would you add to this list?
1. “My heart is, and always will be, yours.”
Sense And Sensibility
2. “I’m scared of what I saw, I’m scared of what I did, of who I am, and most of all I’m scared of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my whole life the way I feel when I’m with you.”
3. “Winning that ticket, Rose, was the best thing that ever happened to me … it brought me to you. And I’m thankful for that, Rose. I’m thankful. You must do me this honour, Rose. Promise me you’ll survive.”
4. “When you realise you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.”
When Harry Met Sally
5. “Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.”
6. “I’m just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.”
7. “I love you. I really love you.” “Ditto.”
8. “And at home by the fire, whenever you look up there I shall be. And whenever I look up, there will be you.”
Far From The Madding Crowd
9. “But for now, let me say without hope or agenda to me, you are perfect, and my wasted heart will love you…”
10. “In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.”
Pride And Prejudice
If you are a Jack Reacher fan then you are in for a treat. In the very first book Child describes Jack Reacher:On December 13, 2016
We are rather partial to films about writers. All that angst and self importance makes for an interesting character. Who better to capture it then Jason Schwartzman, the darling of...On March 27, 2015
Tea Leoni returns to series TV after 16 years.On September 16, 2014
No stranger to embracing a second chance or trying something different, Jenn took the first tentative steps towards her tree change in 2004, escaping Sydney’s corporate chaos to buy a...On February 27, 2013
By Sarah MitchellOn November 12, 2013
By Sophia WhitfieldOn August 5, 2016