White Chocolate Truffles (with coconut, lemon and macadamia)
Having a chocolatier for a father meant that by the age of nine, I was a deft hand in the art of truffle making. Below is the recipe for my favourite truffle creation, even though my father refuses to acknowledge it as a true truffle (because it doesn't use cream, nor does it use ‘real’ chocolate).
Makes approx. 20
125ml of coconut milk
400g of good quality white chocolate
zest of one lemon
100g of macadamia nuts
150g of desiccated coconut
2. Place this over the pot with the hot, not boiling, water. Stir the chocolate until it has melted and formed a smooth mixture. Allow to cool.
3. Add the lemon zest and a few drops of lemon juice to taste.
4. Refrigerate the mixture for 30-60 minutes. Once the mixture is firm to touch and workable, it is ready to be rolled.
5. Roll one macadamia into the centre of the truffle, form a ball and then roll the truffle in the desiccated coconut.
6. Return to the fridge for another hour.
Note: Never melt your chocolate in a microwave as the risk of burning it is too high. Rather use the technique of a glass bowl over some hot water, but make sure that the water isn't boiling and that NO water comes in contact with the chocolate. Boiling water causes steam, which then condenses into water droplets. One drop will ruin melting chocolate (although chocolate can safely be melted in water, one drop will cause the cocoa solids and fats to separate and the chocolate to tighten).
Recipe and photography by Celeste Vlok.
PREP: 15 minsOn June 23, 2017
Bankye is the indigenous name for cassava and Kaklo means fried – so you will notice these words throughout the recipes individually where a dish has a traditional name. Agbeli...On February 2, 2018
After the success of ‘Joe’s chicken pie’ in my first book I decided to create an even tastier one. This pie uses smoked haddock, salmon and prawns and it tastes...On June 16, 2017
Serves 8 • 280 calories per servingOn June 26, 2015
Serves / 4On December 12, 2014
HelloFresh is a new way to cook. Every week they will send you amazing recipes and all the fresh ingredients you need to prepare them. They take care of your...On January 24, 2014